Thumbelina, our pretty little orange and white Shetland Pony arrived here, at Fishers Farm, on 29th December 2019. She is already settling in really nicely in our stables, meeting her new friends and preparing herself to take part in our pony rides in the coming weeks! She is already a big hit with all of our staff and our customers. She is very cute and affectionate and LOVES all the attention!
Thumbelina was very kindly given to us by Harry Stanley-Jones who works here on the farm. She was born in 2013 and is much taller than our Miniature Shetlands, of which we have 8. In total we now have 20 horses, ponies and donkeys here at Fishers Farm.
Shetland ponies are one of the most popular horses in the world, and Thumbelina is certainly a very popular addition to our Fishers family!
Facts about Shetland Ponies
- Shetlands can pull twice their own weight, giving them about twice the power of most heavy horses.
- For many centuries, Shetlands lived in the open with only their thick hair to protect them from the elements.
- Shetland ponies have a shaggy coat of hair and are spirited in nature.
- A Shetland pony can run at speeds of up to 25-30 mph!
- Shetland ponies are very sociable and love attention.