On the 5th July 2019, Dorothy gave birth to eleven wonderful little piglets. They are the cheekiest little mischiefs that we have on the farm!
Over the last month, (while they have done a lot of growing!), the piglets have been a huge hit with everyone that has visited Fishers Farm and they have loved the attention they’ve been getting.
The piglets always look so cosy and cuddly because they love to snuggle up together and like to sleep snout to snout. When they are up and about, they always look so busy, this is because they are continuously communicating with each other and having fun routing around. Their snouts are a very important tool for them, as they use them for finding food and for sensing and learning about the new world around them.
Like us, the little ones learn their mothers voice and come running when she calls them. Dorothy has a job on her hands keeping her babies under control, as the playful little piglets have been escaping out of their pen! But piglets are very clever and once they’ve had a crazy little run around, they find their way back to their mummy. They also enjoy bathing in their water doughnut, which has cooled them down nicely during this lovely hot summer we have been having.
Mummy Dorothy is doing a brilliant job nursing and nurturing her adorable little babies, who are having the best time running rings around her!
Do you know these fun pig facts?
- Pigs have an excellent sense of smell.
- A sow is pregnant for 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days.
- Pigs have been said to be more intelligent than dogs and even young children!
- Pigs are omnivores and eat both plants and meat.
- Pigs have 4 toes on each foot, but only walk on two of those!
- Pigs love to bathe in water and mud to keep cool and stop themselves from getting sunburn.